Monday 9 August 2021

Book review: The Dandy Medium by Dez Schwartz

The Dandy Medium is a gaslight era set detective adventure mixing up good old fashioned detective work with the supernatural and paranormal. And does a great job of it too!

Taking all the best elements from the genres it mixes: a detective duo that can easily measure up to the classics such a Sherlock and Watson, but also more contemporary teams such as Castle and Beckett with excellent chemistry. Super powered individuals that easily could have messed with the story, but don’t, because it’s just very masterfully told.

Frankly, I could go on for quite a while, but this is just a really good book. The story is well written, the pace is excellent, it twists and surprises, there is just the right amount of character and setting background to give you all the information you need and the characters just …work.

And we could all do with a lot of the advice coming from several of the characters taking on a bit of a mentor background role.

I will also quite happily admit I did NOT see the events quite unfold like that, but I was rather pleasantly surprised at the turn-out and how things wrapped up!

If you’re not a rabbit homophobe and like genre meshing detective stories, I would rate the chance very likely that you will enjoy this quite a lot. I would absolutely recommend this!

I, personally, am hoping for more instalments in the series, because I could stand to read rather quite a bit more about the dapper duo that is the dandy medium and his dashing detective boyfriend!

In the spirit of fairness, this book was given to me for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own. And if you've been following me as a reviewer on Neverwas, you'll know I'm absolutely truthful when I say that :).

----

Find me online:instagram - YouTube 

---- 

Disclaimer: Google is trying to fob off a lot of their GDPR responsability by pretending the responsability to safeguard privacy is with bloggers. I can assure you that I don't collect ANY data on my followers or people that read this blog what so ever, so when it comes to this blog, it's entirely on google.  I will continue to post links to secondary sites, I have no stake in this other than to provide my readers with a handy link, so if you worry about your data when you enter those sites, you'll have to take it up with them. I hope that helps! 

No comments:

Post a Comment