Friday 28 June 2019

Disney x hype - Zurg backpack review

blog header 

So a little while ago, Shop Disney came out with another collab with hype
And this time, you can actually order from the UK hype website (as in the one with the entire collection on it) if you live in Belgium. 

Which you couldn’t before (I bitched about that quite a bit, because Shop Disney never carries the entire collection). 

Initially I wasn’t even looking at it, but then I noticed they had a Zurg backpack. That fits the ShopDisney Zurg toy. 
Now, Zurg is one of the things I collect. 
And by collecting I mean that I will buy the stuff I actually like, rather than needing and wanting ALL THE THINGS regardless of whether or not they’re even cool, good quality, etc etc. 
I already owned the ShopDisney Zurg toy, because Bert bought it for me for Christmas last year. 
Even though I swear by my Kanken backpacks, I just had to have this one. 
If only because I can hang it up as a display and put Zurg inside. 
It’s easier to dust off a backpack than a toy haha. 

But yeah, I ordered it. 
I did look into getting it from the hype website initially, BUT I got so annoyed with hype I decided against it. 
First of all they advertise that if you leave your email, you get a free shipping coupon. But they neglect to mention this is ONLY for UK customers. Way to trick people into getting information (it's a bit of a dick move really)! 
Secondly, they let you set your currency. So I set mine to €. 
It stayed in € right up the point where I would have to make the payment, then it reverted to £ meaning I’d suddenly have to pay more due to conversion. Because that’s the kind of BS I do not want to put up with, I decided to just buy it via Shop Disney UK. 

It arrived on the day that was estimated as the delivery day. Even though Hermes had completely and utterly neglected to update their tracker (thankfully Bpost had not). So yay for that.

Photo of the day: 12.6.2019 (day 163) 

Now before we get into the actual review, let’s talk about the packaging because there’s a few things that need to be said about that. 
There was absolutely no need for a sturdy backpack to be wrapped in a plastic ziplock bag inside a plastic shipping bag that is so large you could stuff a small child in there. 
Disney is always going on about how the company wants to reduce plastic waste, but they produce it by the ridiculous amounts in packaging waste. There’s a LOT of straws that go into a bag of that size, and a LOT of lids. 
Just saying. 
The only real way to deal with the plastic waste issue, is by tackling the packaging plastic waste from companies. 
Disney needs to stop virtue signalling and do better. 
End of story. 
(For those that are curious to find out more on this issue, keep an eye on my friend Craig’s column in BCM or follow him on twitter).

Disney x hype - Zurg backpack 

Now as fort he actual backpack. 
As you can see, Zurg fits in just fine. 
He’s not too snug in it, and the zipper is put in in a way that you can put him in and take him out easy enough, but it still is a wee big fidgetty. 
Not so much that it’s a problem or annoyance to do either though. 
It's also a good zipper placement to easily open your backpack and find things with minimal risk of things falling out.

And yes, you can press his voice button when in the backpack, but he will sound a little muffled when inside the backpack. 
As the Shop Disney Zurg toy is quite a large one, it stands to reason that this backpack is large as well, which is pretty cool. 
It does make it very much an adult backpack, because it would be rather too big on a child. That said, it is very lightweight in itself, so if you don’t put much in it, I can imagine that it wouldn’t be a problem if a kid uses it.

Disney x hype - Zurg backpack

Disney x hype - Zurg backpack

Disney x hype - Zurg backpack 

The detailing on the bag is pretty amazing, styled like a toy packaging box, it goes literally all over. From top to bottom, sides and straps. 
The only plain thing about it is the handle strap, which is just black, but that doesn’t bother me at all. 

Disney x hype - Zurg backpack 

The front is clear, because they are made for you to put your toy in, but it’s a little less cool if you want to use it as a regular backpack.

Photo of the day: 28.6.2019 (day 179) 

I solved the problem by printing a photo I took in Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast on an A4 sheet of printer paper, put it in a clear file and stuck it on the inside with electrical tape. 
That means that if I want to remove it, I can do so without any hassle. 
The inside is the sort of silver material that looks exactly like the one you’ll find in some cooler bags, but whether or not the bag will keep your drinks or lunch cool, I don’t dare say, because I never tried it. 

So far, the bag has turned out to be very comfortable to wear. 
It sits well on my back, it fits a lot of stuff and it looks very cool. 
I’ll be taking it to Disneyland Paris next time I go, but in the mean time, here’s some pictures of me using it in my Zurg Disneybound try-out :).

Zurg Disneybound

Zurg Disneybound 

Zurg was in no risk of falling out, even though his arms were sticking out and the bag was essentially open. I would NOT recommend you carry it around like that though, because it's one thing to do it in a controlled way for a photo, and another to wander around all day with him on your back like that.

Bag photos by me, photos of me by Bert Van den Wyngaert

Find me online: 
twitter - instagram - website 

---- 

Disclaimer: Google is trying to fob off a lot of their GDPR responsability by pretending the responsability to safeguard privacy is with bloggers. I can assure you that I don't collect ANY data on my followers or people that read this blog what so ever, so when it comes to this blog, it's entirely on google.  I will continue to post links to secondary sites, I have no stake in this other than to provide my readers with a handy link, so if you worry about your data when you enter those sites, you'll have to take it up with them. I hope that helps! 

No comments:

Post a Comment