Tuesday 26 January 2021

Book review: The Dead Oaks, Book one: Ghost Stories

A while ago, Dez Schwartz kindly made the first installment in her Dead Oaks series available for free. I can't remember what the reason was, but a friend of mine followed her, and because of that follow I saw the tweet. Of course, she had me at free and paranormal (not going to lie) and I gave her a follow because you know, free book the least I could do (I did thank her of course, because it was mighty nice of her!).

Anyway, yesterday I finally had time to sit down and read the book, and I immediately fell in love with the setting. I love the misfits that are the main characters, I love how they come together and together overcome well, a lot of things (trying to keep this spoiler free guys!). And come on, how cool is the name "Dead Oaks Paranormal Society"? I could ramble on, but this is just a really good book. It's quite short, so you can go through it quite quickly, which is fun. The story is brilliant, it's very to the point, no endlessly beating around the bush and page long descriptions, just a really cool read at a great pace with loveable (and hateable depending on who we're talking about) characters that are relatable. I also love that despite this being a ghost story of a sort, it's not ridiculously scary. I started reading this before bed and had no trouble sleeping (I am a long time horror movie watcher, but ghost stories are historically not my fave as some are TERRIFYING).

I am for sure getting the other books in the series, and also, not going to lie, I want a Dead Oaks Paranormal Society tee now. Cream on brown please (I know grey on black is likely more appropriate but come on, I am a steampunk at heart, I love my browns). 

So yeah, if you are looking for a fun (LGTBQ) story that isn't too long and has a supernatural element to it, give this one a look. Would recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment