Sunday 24 November 2019

My spoiler free thoughts on Frozen II

Most people that know me, are very much aware that I wasn't into the first Frozen movie. At all. I feel that it's mediocre at best, and grossly overrated. And "Let it Go" properly drove me INSANE with how much it was shoved down our throats (and still is).

But Bert is really into Frozen, Elsa is his second favourite Disney character (the first one being Rapunzel).
He even has a modest Frozen (mostly Elsa) collection, and is especially into pins, so if you've got any to trade, leave a comment :).
But yeah, I said that we should go see it on release day (Wednesday November 20th here in Belgium) because we had the time to be able to go to the cinema. As there is only a week (yeah, that's how long we can see it in its original language with subs, else it's Flemish dubs all the way, which I REFUSE to watch) and we didn't have time on class nights, nor on the weekend, I felt like it was a bit now or whenever it ends up on a streaming platform.
Now, to the actual review, because I'm pretty sure you're all sick and tired of me waffling randomly about the first Frozen and how we ended up in theater on release day.

I really enjoyed the sequel. Properly really enjoyed it.
Having seen Frozen just once, quite a long time ago, I didn't feel like you necessarily have had to see the original to understand the events in the second one.
I felt that they did a really good job building on the original story in a way that it's a continuation for the fans, but also an interesting story for people new to the franchise. It's no secret I'm a big fan of settings that you don't have to see (or read) in chronological order to understand the plot.

The music was pretty good, and reminded me of the Disney Renaissance era with movies like Beauty and the Beast. I don't think that the songs will be as memorable as those from the Ren era Disney movies, nor do I think they'll be as memorable as Let it Go (because that was, and still is, such a smash hit song), but the variety between genres (there was even a power ballad!) and different types of songs was very, very good. Plus, they really suited the moment in the movie.

I also liked that the story didn't shy away from taking on some darker, more mature themes, exploring some pretty difficult themes. I know this is pretty vague, but I am dead set on not giving out spoilers.

It's definitely a film that goes straight for all the feels.

The animation was bomb, the characters were well developped and they had really taken their original personalities and how they would have evolved into account. It's a well rounded, brilliantly made movie.
I will happily admit I did not expect to like it as much as I did.

And hey, with that ending, there could be more into the franchise. I'm not sure they should add more, but if they put as much thought and effort into the next one as into this one, I would not object to a Frozen III.

Basically, if you are into animated musicals, go give this a shot. Even if you weren't into the first one. I'm not saying you absolutely should see this on big screen, but if you can, why not.
Definitely Disney at it's best in my opinion.

Good luck to all the Disney cosplayers by the way, because I can see a lot of you going for the costumes from the movie, and they all look like a lot of hard work!



---- 

Find me online: 
twitter - instagram - website 

---- 

Disclaimer: Google is trying to fob off a lot of their GDPR responsability by pretending the responsability to safeguard privacy is with bloggers. I can assure you that I don't collect ANY data on my followers or people that read this blog what so ever, so when it comes to this blog, it's entirely on google. I will continue to post links to secondary sites, I have no stake in this other than to provide my readers with a handy link, so if you worry about your data when you enter those sites, you'll have to take it up with them. I hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment