Friday 27 September 2019

A very busy day in the North of France

La Piscine

Because I wasn't bored of museums yet (I still am not btw), and I discovered that La Pisicine in Roubaix had not one but three temporary exhibits on, I asked Bert if we could go.
We picked Friday the 23rd of August, because Fake Island, the band our friend Aurélie was touring with, was performing in Lomme that evening, which isn't far from Roubaix (about half an hour by car). 
If you want to see some live photos, Bert has some on his Instagram account :).  
Turns out that the Eldorado – Lille 3000 métamorphose statues were spread out to the neighbouring towns, and we found the coolest one we had seen so far pretty much opposite the museum. 
I love that cat :). 
It had to be admired before the museum visit, obviously! 
And after as well, because Chat is made from win and awesome.

Cat in the street 

La Piscine is a really cool museum. 
And yes, the name The Swimming Pool is apt, because it really is a remodelled Art Nouveau pool turned into a museum.

La Piscine 

We had a look through the permanent collection first, La Piscine

La Piscine 

The cat paintings are always winners in my book!

La Piscine 

before seeing ISE et perdre le fil, an expo about embroidery. I kept thinking my friend Claire would have really enjoyed that one too, so I took some extra photos for her. 

La PiscineLa Piscine

La Piscine

La Piscine 

Whilst most of the collection hadn't changed since we were last there a few years before the big refurb and expansion, the garden had.

Bert

La Piscine

La Piscine 

It still can’t beat the garden of Museum Plantin-Moretus in Antwerp though, which has the best museum garden I’ve seen so far! 

The other new additions were used to house two out of three temporary expos. I didn't much care for Peter Briggs 

La Piscine

La Piscine

La Piscine 

but I thought it was interesting to see the work of Jules Adler, even though most of it was really sombre.

La Piscine 

I sure am glad medical science has progressed since that time!

La Piscine

La Piscine 

After having seen all the art, we decided to have a drink in the museum café. Where Bert also managed to get the last chocolate éclaire, because he was a little hungry. 

La Piscine 

As usual, I found quite a few things in the gift shop: some postcards for friends, a pair of cat socks, and a cat button for both myself and Aurélie. 
Lucky for me, their gift shop is super cheap, so yay!

La Piscine 

I took a photo to see if there is an English version, and there is! So at some point, I want to get it. I think I’ll ask it for Christmas. 

Before we left, I quickly got an outfit shot. As one does :).

Outfit: 23.8.2019 

I feel that with La Piscine and the LaM, we only ever go there to see the museum and end up at V2, which I'm ok with, but I do feel that if the proximity of V2 wasn't there, it wouldn't really be worth the trip. 
Frankly, I just wish we had more cool museums like these in Belgium! (Please don't suggest SMAK, MHKA or Bozar, I hate them all equally ><).

Because it was really quite early still, we decided to walk back to the car and drive to the V2 mall in Villeneuve d'Ascq. 
Where I got more stuff at Sephora, but in my defence, I did forget to buy some of my skin care in Lille, and I also got a bunch of things for my friend Claire's birthday. 
Which isn't a spoiler because by the time this goes up, she'll have gotten everything. 
We also had a look at the geek store, but didn't find anything we wanted, ignored Starbucks as they also didn't serve Cool Sunrise, and had dinner at Flunch. Which was fine, but as usual nothing spectacular. 
Coming out of Flush, we passed by Zara, and I spotted a lilac super floofy and frilly knitted sweater in the shop through the window (which just shows how good my radar for weird garments is) and I just HAD to go investigate this utterly ridiculous thing. And buy it, because it's pretty darn epic. 
By that time I felt that I had spent more than enough money, and we went to the Auchan supermarket to get a box of croissants and some other drinks. 

We got to Lomme in good time for the concert, and spent time catching up with friends. 
I really enjoyed the HIGH TECH LOW LIFE concert but I wasn't into Fake Island at all. Which is why I went to get pizza during that gig. I did save a big slice for Bert, which he ate on the way back. All good :). 

Portrait of Remy 

And a painting of Remy I did, the vocalist of HIGH TECH LOW LIFE, after a photo Bert took during their concert that day. 
The colours match way better in real life, I swear! 
I also did a whole piece on the band, and interview in the current issue of BCM (and you can win a signed instax, so all the more reason to check that out). There’s some photo pages of Fake Island in that edition, too. 

All my Roubaix photos are here
And here’s the spread from my sketchbook I did about the museum visit :).

La Piscine in my sketchbook

statue in the museum garden

La Piscine in my sketchbook

La Piscine in my sketchbook 

Should anyone wonder how I got photos taken with my DSLR onto instax, I use an instax mini LiPlay. 
I first edit the photos on my laptop, then I transfer them to my phone, and I use the app and Bluetooth to connect my phone and the camera and that allows me to print. 
It sounds roundabout, but I edit them anyway and it all goes much faster than it sounds. 

Métamorphoses 

I printed this photo and stuck it next to the page with the drawing of Chat.

Chat 

---- 

Find me online: 
twitter - instagram - website 

---- 
Disclaimer: 
Google is trying to fob off a lot of their GDPR responsability by pretending the responsability to safeguard privacy is with bloggers. I can assure you that I don't collect ANY data on my followers or people that read this blog what so ever, so when it comes to this blog, it's entirely on google. I will continue to post links to secondary sites, I have no stake in this other than to provide my readers with a handy link, so if you worry about your data when you enter those sites, you'll have to take it up with them. I hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment