Thursday 12 October 2017

Comic Con Antwerp!

blog post header

Nearly a full month ago (that's what you get when a con happens right after BCM deadline) on September 23rd, Bert and I went to Comic Con Antwerp
If you feel like this is a behind post, you just wait for the much more behind one about Villeneuve d'Ascq :P. 

Anyway, we went to Comic Con Antwerp

Neither of us had been to Waagnatie, the venue where it was held, before. But we had a pretty good idea of where it was, as we had driven past in well, the past. I did look it up a few days before the event to find out more, and their website pretty specifically said to avoid driving there and take public transport instead. 
Because a 45-60 minute walk is nothing to Bert and I, we decided to forego the horror that is the bus in favour of you know, walking there. 
Considering it was a gorgeous day, and we needed to be in a few shops anyway, which were all on the way, that was definitely the best choice!

Bert

Halloween is here alright :) 

First we popped by Kruidvat, where they did not have more essence highligter brushes, boo! 
H&M, however, did have the Halloween accessories I wanted, huzzah! 
Flying Tiger also had the touch pens Bert's granddad wanted, so we got those for him. 

Crane 

And after that it was a straight walk to Waagnatie. 
Which was really good, because there was also an extreme sports event going on that the city had organised, so we could see some BMX and skating events going on whilst we walked. 
The walk by the waterfront is also very nice. 
Plus it was good to see parts of Antwerp we normally never visit.

M.A.S 

When you walk past the MAS museum, you know you're nearly there. 

When we got there we realised it was a good thing we had walked, because their small parking lot was full. It also didn't seem like a particularly nice traffic situation to find yourself looking for parking space in, so I'm really glad we took the website's advice to heart. 
I am hoping they'll move the convention to Antwerp Expo
Like I said in my review on The Gatehouse, I understand why they weren't in there to start with, but this venue is frankly, shite. 
Sure, the surrounding of 't Eilandje is pretty to look at, but that's it really. 
EDIT: I'm leaving my original post the way it is, but  after posting this I was informed by someone that apparently Antwerp Expo is owned by Artexis Easyfairs, who own FACTS and who are behind Antwerp Con disappearing (long story stort, they bought up Antwerp Con and a couple of other cons that could be a serious competition for FACTS and then permanently cancelled them so FACTS could reign supreme). 
So obviously Antwerp Expo is not an option for a convention not owned by Artexis. Basically it's not available to events that aren't by Artexis that could be seen as a competition for FACTS.

The convention itself, was a total blast though! I really enjoyed it! :) 

I also loved that they had James Duval, because I grew up watching and rewatching The Doom Generation and Nowhere. 
Nowhere was one of my favourite movies as a teenager. So when there was no one queuing to meet him, I decided to wander over and tell him that I thought he was awesome in those movies. I figured that it could go either way, but he was SUPER FRIENDLY! And legit super friendly. And genuienly pleased that someone came to approach him about those movies. And now, I have to see Kaboom. Urgently! URGENTLY! 

Comic Con Antwerpen

Q&A with The Mountain
Post-apocalyptic tribe

Post-apocalyptic tribe

Loki

Boba Fett

Wonderland Designs

cosplay competition contestants

Bulbasaur

The Doctor and the Dalek 

Anyway, other than the fact that I really didn't like Waagnatie, because it's a dark dive of a venue, and that the food and drinks were overpriced and there wasn't enough room to sit, I LOVED everything about the convention. 
From the free Darth Vader paper kits (I'm collecting them, I also have the Gent version of General Akbar) to 11 and the Dalek bantering their way through the convention, to their amazing Q&A guy, the super friendly staff and most open minded cosplay competition in the universe. 
 I'm totally psyched for Comic Con Brussels, their next event :D.

Outfit: 23.9.2017 

My outfit, totally dalek themed, which made for much banter fun. 
That flower and cardigan are NOT as neon in real life, I don't know what was up with the light that day XD. 
Hair flower: H&M 
Glasses: Theo 
Cardigan: Primark 
Brooch: made it myself 
Blouse: Emily Temple Cute 
Top: UNIQLO 
Skirt: made it myself 
Petticoat: Dear Celine 
Tights: Ophanim 
Boots: Kickers 

Day 79/100 days of make-up in 2017 
It doesn't match my outfit as well as I would have liked, but oh well! 
BROWS: 
- M.A.C, brow sculpt in Cork 
EYES: 
- M.A.C, pro longwear concealer in NC20 
- M.A.C, sized to go zoom lash mascara in Beets Me 
- M.A.C, eye shadow in Amber Lights and Coppering 
- M.A.C, Semi-Sweet eye shadow x 9 in Drawing a Blanc and Bamboo 
 - M.A.C, technakohl liner in Brass Band 
- NYX, eye shadow base in skin tone 
- Sugarpill, pressed eyeshadow in Flamepoint 
FACE: 
- M.A.C, sized to go strobe cream 
- Too Faced, Hangover Primer 
- Too Faced, Sweet Peach Glow blush and highlighter 
- Too Faced, Milke Chocolate Soleil bronzer 
LIPS: 
- NYX, wicked lippies in Wrath 
- Weleda, Everon lip balm (as primer) 

I kinda want to get a red wig and ask the guys doing 11 and the dalek if I can join them as Amy Pond.

Bert

Bert

Bert 

Bert's outfit, he's still on an Adventure Time kick :).

Time for Pumpkin Spice EVERYTHING! 

On the way back we watched a stunt bike showcase for a while, and stopped at the Groenplaats Starbucks for Pumpkin Spice frappucino. Because I make it a point of drinking as much as I can whilst supplies last. 
Thankfully, my friend Jon, bless his soul, lives in the US and has been kind enough to snap up 2 packs of make-pumpkin-spice-at-home kits from Starbucks, so I can have 10 more chez moi at some point in the future :D. 

More pictures are here :) 

---- 

Find me online: twitter - instagram - website - old blog (it's to say, I double post, but my years and years of posting is on there as I've had it since 2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment