Friday 1 September 2017

Flashback faves: September

Flashback faves: September

Flashback faves was started by Emily Fox over on her YouTube channel. As I'm not a youtuber, I run these on my blog instead :). 

Click to see what's still left over from last year, and how I feel about these products now.
Flashback faves: September 

----- 

Photo of the day: 1.9.2017 (day 244)

Photo of the day: 18.8.2017 (day 230) 

When Loa decides to “help”. Consider these the bloopers of this month's flash back faves. 

---- 

I think this is actually the first month of flashback faves where I have quite a bit less than I had last year.


 
Covers & Co, North Pole duvet and pillow cover 
This is still over our sofa, and I still love it. It’s a little worse for wear in some spots because Loa clawed at it a few times and sadly the colours have faded. But as long as it holds up in one piece, I’m keeping it. 
I did find out that it's washing instructions were a big fat lie though, so now I wash and dry it in our delicate cycles, else by now, the colour would have wasted away to nothing and that would have sucked big time. Especially as this was really quite pricy too. 
I don't think I would buy another cover from this brand, as I feel that their sizing and washing instructions are all lies, and it's thus too expensive for what it is. To be honest, when this is dead, I'll just buy two big throws in Primark and rotate them. 
Much cheaper, not as nice as a print, but still practical and pretty enough. 

---- 

It's almost too pretty to use, almost! 

M.A.C, extra dimension eye shadow in a perfect flirt 
I used it and loved it for the first few months I had it, and then I just didn't gravitate to it anymore and stopped using it. It’s not even that I don’t like the M.A.C extra dimension formula in itself, because I ADORE it in their highlighters. Frankly, the biggest problem I have with this is that it’s just too pink for me. I should have gone with a white or gold one instead, really. 
My friend Marie does love this colour, so I sprayed mine with isopropyl alcohol and I'm passing it on to her when I next see her. At least it'll be loved again, just not by me. So this is the last time that you'll see it in a flash back faves post.


----
 

NYX, color mascara in brown 
The love affair with this, is most definitely OVER. When you initially open a tube, it’s a good product, but it becomes a mess so quickly. Basically after just a short while it goes from being a nice mascara to a smudgy mess. The same goes for the blue and the dark purple in this range by the way. They are so bad, in fact, that they have put me off NYX mascaras full stop. 

---- 

NYX - eye shadow base in skin tone 

NYX, eye shadow base in skin tone I had this, and then I found out that sticking my fingers in it destroyed it due to the oils. But by then it was the Sephora sales and I tried their primer because it was only €3,50 (HUGE mistake as it was SO fail, OMG, what a creasy mess!). So basically, I just went and got this again because I didn't want to spend money on trying out new primers in the hope they worked out or not. Although now I take out a little with a spatula and apply THAT with my fingers, which is way better for the product. Not to mention that it's way more hygienic as well :). 

----

 

NYX, lid lingerie in gold standard 
Whilst I don’t have any real issues with this product, I wouldn’t buy it again, simply because I don’t gravitate towards it. It’s a lovely colour, and it’s really cool and all that jazz, but I just don’t use it. 
Basically it expired on me whilst I had barely used it, which is a clear sign that buying it again is a waste of money. 
I really don't need this anyway, because I have so many lovely gold eye shadows as it is (and they do get used). 

---- 

NYX, ultimate shadow palette in Brights 

NYX, ultimate shadow palette in Brights 
The longer I've had this, the more I dislike it. The longer it's been open, the worse the matte shadows seem to become, too. 
Whilst initially this was an ok palette, it's turned into a chalky mess with fall-out everywhere after minimal wear time. 
So unless this is for an insta look where I put on make-up just for a photo and then take it off, I avoid this like the plague. 
I can't even give this to my nieces, this sort of crap simply risks ruining their joy of make-up. What fun is it to do a look simply to have it vanish within a short amount of time? 
And yes, I do use a base, I do use a primer, it's just that Brights and I don't mesh. I know a lot of people hype about NYX shadows, but I'm not digging them. And that's NYX shadows in general, not just this palette. 
Although I will say that my hot singles shimmer shades are slightly better quality than these. Still far from what it should be in many cases, but at least better. 
Frankly at this point, I would only go and buy a Hot Single Shadow refill pan if I just need the one colour for an insta look I'm doing and not much else. I know there are cheaper options still, but at least NYX has pretty decent quality ingredients overall so I am far less likely to get problems from one of their shadows than from e.g. essence shadows. 

----
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8556/29489815586_b4732a1273.jpg 
Yves Rocher, flawless skin concealer in beige clair 
It expired and I didn't repurchase it. I liked it fine the first few months, but then it wouldn't close properly anymore (I put it in a little zip lock bag), and the longer after opening day it got, the crappier it became. 
I won't be repurchasing this, ever. 
To be honest, it was only a good concealer for my face, and I don't tend to even bother with concealing spots etc on my face very often. I don't care about them, I don't care what others think about me not concealing them, so I don't see the need to spend money on more concealer. 
Especially not because IF I do conceal them (which happens once in a blue moon), I can just use my NYX Wonder Pencil. I'll stick to my M.A.C one (pro longwear concealer) for underneath my eyes, because I do like to enjoy camouflaging my panda eyes. 
----
 
Yves Rocher, kohl pencil in black 
This is so gone. It became a smudgy mess after wearing it just a short while, and it just wouldn’t last on my waterline. 
Don’t get the Yves Rocher kohl pencils, they’re a waste of money. 
Also, they don’t sharpen well at all. I've given literally all of mine to my nieces, who thoroughly enjoy drawing on themselves with them, so at least they went to people who appreciate them. 

---- 

Yves Rocher - SOS clean hands 

Yves Rocher, SOS clean hands 
Contrary to the other two Yves Rocher products that came before this one, I still like this. It’s a practical format, and it’s just really good if you want to clean your hands but don’t have water handy to do so. It also feels very refreshing. Just make sure you have no wounds on your hands when you use this because it’ll sting like a bitch. 

---- 

Yves Rocher scrub 

Yves Rocher, apricot fruity face scrub 
We still have this. I don't really use it right now because in summer my skin is too sensitive for it, but when it gets colder again (yeah, my skin is hella weird) I will totally use it again. Bert uses it all year round, so this is still a staple skin care product in our home :). 

---- 

Yves Rocher showergel 

Yves Rocher, vanilla bourbon bath and shower gel 
Still an awesome shower gel. It’s not my favourite by them, but when I run out of coconut shower gel, I definitely would not mind using this instead. It’s still Bert’s favourite though, so it's at least still someone's fave in this household. 

---- 

Weleda skin food 

Weleda, skin food 
Another one I still love. It’s an excellent product (even though I’m not much of a fan of the scent). I mostly help it to use scabs heal up faster and if it's small wounds and scratches it often makes sure they don't leave a scar (and trust you me, owning a lizard with non-retractable claws ends up in a lot of scabs on my arms and hands!), but I find it is also really good against dry skin (no surprise there as it's made to deal with dry skin). 
One thing though: it doesn’t completely dry into your skin (it washes out in the laundry though, so it's not a problem if you get it on your clothes or bedding), so it’s not always the most convenient when you’re not at home. 
But it’s definitely something I would repurchase. Just not in a bigger format than 50ml because I have a hard enough time emptying one of those out before the expiration date. 
Bert puts this on nasty zits, because it helps healing them up faster and nicer. It doesn't make them disappear overnight, but it's obvious that it does help, which is good. Just don't expect it to be a miracle product against acne, but if you are satisfied with something hurrying pimples along and making sure they don't leave scars: get hold of this. 
Just a word of advice: get the smallest available size. You need so little of the product that you are highly unlikely to empty up a larger size in a year. I feel like the large sizes are made for families of 4 with young children that are still prone to many knee and elbow scabs and no one else. 

---- 

Flashback faves of the past

---- 


Find me online: 

twitter - instagram - website - old blog (it's to say, I double post, but my years and years of posting is on there as I've had it since 2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment