Tuesday 9 May 2017

Free Comic Book Day and other Antwerp based adventures

Free Comic Book Day at Mekanik Strip 

Saturday, May the 6th was the first Saturday of May, which means: FREE COMIC BOOK DAY!


Last year I had to miss out, because Lora and I were at Under the Sea in Amsterdam, but this year, just like in 2015, we decided to join in the celebrations at Mekanik Strip in Antwerp, Belgium. 
They always have cosplay entertainment, free candy and snacks, drinks, a DJ, temporary tattoos and artists on top of the free comics.

Free Comic Book Day at Mekanik Strip

Free Comic Book Day at Mekanik Strip

Free Comic Book Day at Mekanik Strip

Free Comic Book Day at Mekanik Strip 

This year, much to our surprise, we were allowed to choose 4 comics (instead of 2), which was of course an awesome surprise. 
I got the Riverdale standalone because I love watching that show, Steam Wars, Wonder Woman and Lady Mechanika. 
Bert got Legend of Zelda, All-New Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Empire and the I hate Fairyland spoof “I hate Image”. I had encouraged him to get the last one because it's by Skottie Young. It's really fun, but I'm still not encouraged to go out and buy more I Hate Fairyland.

Free Comic Book Day at Mekanik Strip 

I am kinda tempted to buy more Lady Mechanika, but I don't really want to start another series. I did also buy the latest issue of Moon Girl and Devil-Dinosaur, because I still collect those. It's still my fave series. 

Lora got Rick & Morty, the Doctor Who comic, Legend of Zelda, and I forgot which was the 4th. 
She did find a stack of books from a manga series that is now out of print that she collects, so in any case, she did luck out. 

We had our photos taken at the photobooth green screen thingamajig, but at this point they aren't online yet, so I'll just have to edit this post when they are and add them then.

Free Comic Book Day at Mekanik Strip 

Basically, if you love a good comic book related time, go to Mekanik. It's a pretty fun place most of the time as it is, but they really put on a great show on FCBD. I'll definitely go again next year if it doesn't clash with an event I really don't want to miss out on.

Free Comic Book Day at Mekanik Strip 

Because we still had places to go and things to do in Antwerp, we decided to go and do those after we had acquired our dose of geek stuff. Hail geek stuff. For those interested: all my FCBD photos are here, including the 2015 edition ones. First stop was the Stadsfeestzaal mall (I feel like it's too small to be called a mall, but there you go) where we went to Flying Tiger. I found the perfect little cup to host little make-up things in, that was only €1. Bought a mother's day present for my mother in law and got some touch pens for Bert's granddad. Lora got some muffin cups, because Flying Tiger is awesome and provides all sorts of affordable handy things.

obligatory silly mirror selfie 

Next was UNIQLO, because UNIQLO is awesome. We looked at things, but didn't get anything. Although I did really like this dress

Bert did take my outfit and day 37/100 days of make-up shot at the cool background wall upstairs.

Outfit: 6.5.2017 

Hat: Disney Store US 
Glasses: Theo 
Cardigan: Primark 
T-shirt: Teefury 
Bag: Fossil 
Skirt: made it myself 
Petticoat: Dear Celine 
Tights: Teja Jamilla 
Batman sneakers: Converse 
Accessories: handmade, Han Cholo, Skullery, Roxy

Day 37/100 days of make-up 
  BROWS: 
- M.A.C, brow sculpt in Cork 
EYES: 
- M.A.C, eye shadow in Amber Lights and Coppering 
- M.A.C, zoom to go mascara in Beets Me 
- M.A.C, technakohl liner in Brass Band 
- M.A.C, pro longwear concealer in NC20 
FACE: 
- essence, blossom dreams rainbow highlighter in prism of light 
- NYX, Duo Chrome Highlighting Powder in Twilight Tint 
- Too Faced, Hangover Primer 
 - Too Faced, Love Flush blush in Baby Love 
LIPS: 
- M.A.C, lipstick in Violetta 
- Weleda, Everon lip balm 

After that we flopped down in 8tea5 bubble tea bar.

Lora can haz matcha bubble tea 

Because it's Lora's birthday today (actually legit today as I post this. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LORA!) 
I was going to treat her to bubble tea (Bert and I did give her presents and a card on the train).

caramel frappé drink 

And because I love Bert, I was treating him too. Lo and behold, he actually found a drink he likes!

Dorian! 

When we got out of 8tea5, we bumped into Dorian, aka Artifakt's illustrious leader (Artifakt being the steampunk collective Lora and I are part of). 
We hadn't seen him in ages so it was fun to see him. 
 He was happy to pose for some pics too (I'm always collecting photos of well dressed people for the BCM snap), thanks Dorian! :) 

Lora tries on frames

Lora tries on frames

Awesome frames Lora likes 

The next stop was Somers Optiek, the Theo eyewear flagship store. 
Lora is pretty fed up with boring optician chain glasses, and wanted something cooooooool and well, proper quality. 
So off to Theo we went. 
Because let's be honest, if I can't break their frames, I don't think anyone can (ok I know one guy that broke his, but he pelted them against a concrete wall several times, and they were able to repair them just fine). 

Theo WA

once I win the lottery, these will be my next pair of specs, oh yes 

I couldn't resist trying on the WA, which I had seen before online, but had avoided trying on in the past (because I knew how much I'd love it). 
But after seeing it at a Theo distributing optician (in the window) in Ghent last weekend of April, I just HAD to try them. 
Even Bert likes them. 
I kinda feel like they are the most insane pair of glasses I've ever tried to go for. 
Heck, they may be a little too insane even for me. 
What do you guys think? 
Yay or nay? 

Having decided on frames, we popped into Kruidvat because I wanted to get another essence powder brush and then we went to Panos to have lunch. 
Once we were no longer hungry, we went all the way to the south side to wander to De Wieuw.

Because Lora needed high quality paper and Bert's granddad wanted a bunch of things. 
And I kinda wanted to check those really cool ecoline brush pens one of the artists at Mekanik recommended to me earlier that day. 
They had brass, I could not resist. It was only €2 anyway. 

We took a small stop in the Nationalestraat Kruidvat on the way there, because I wanted the lilac nail varnish from the Little Angels collection, which for some reason they didn't have at Groenplaats. But they did at this one, and I FINALLY managed to get some lilac varnish, huzzah! Of course, at €1,99 a polish, this isn't exactly awesome quality, but hey, I'm happy with it.

ManiMonday + day 38/100 days of make-up in 2017 

Nail polish aquired, we went back on our way to De Wieuw
For those that hadn't gathered it yet: De Wieuw is an AMAZING art supply store. 
I tend to avoid it unless I really have to be in there, because it's got so much amazing stuff I just want to get. 
But it really IS mega epic. 
I love it! 
And the people that work there are always super friendly too, which is a total bonus. 

Our last stop for the day was MediaMarkt, where Bert just wanted to look around, and Lora found a birthday present for her bf. I didn't get anything there, other than the free magazine the store releases each month. 

During most of the day, on and off, Bert and I had been discussing that Comics Station was a shop (Bert) or a themepark (me). 
So because we still had tons of time before our train would arrive, we decided to walk there, so we would see who was right. 
 Of course, we just had to stop by the organic supermarket and get bread. 
But I digress. 
Turns out, it is an indoor themepark. 
With a shop attached to it. 
 So yeah that was sorted once and for all, I feel like we were both right, because it's both and a themepark and a shop (which you can access separately) :).

So yeah, that was our Saturday in Antwerp. Lots of good times. Great weather. Free comics: awesome sauce :). 

pretty blossoms

No comments:

Post a Comment