Thursday 8 November 2018

Catch-up post: Canon Experience Days

Canon Experience Days

On October 13th, Bert and I got up early to go to Tour & Taxis for the Canon Experience Days. Which is a day full of lectures, product testing and workshops for Canon users specifically, which Bert and I both are.


Canon Experience Days 

Bert wanted to be there at 9am for opening, and whilst we succeeded, they opened nearly half an hour late. Even though the website said you would be able to book a spot in the workshops, they said at registration we couldn’t, and then we found out at a workshop we could after all. Bert did, and then when he went to the workshop he had registered for in the afternoon there were too many folks for it, and he didn’t have all the materials he needed for it, even though he had registered. So that was a bit of a shambles.

Canon Experience Days

Canon Experience Days

Canon Experience Days 

Initially I thought about doing concert photography, and one of the super kind Canon guys even lend me his chair, but I changed my mind for dog photography instead. I gave him back my chair, and he told me that I could totally come back for it any time I wanted throughout the day. All Canon staff was consistently friendly though, and very helpful when it came to answering questions etc. 
So I went and photographed dogs. And petted dogs, a LOT! Little Beer the Pommeranean puppy snuggled by my side for a while, against my camera, and when I came home, Loa was sniffing it, head butting it and PURRING like you wouldn’t believe. I think he was trying to ask us for a dog sibling, but that won’t happen before we have a bigger home!

Canon Experience Days 

After that Bert and I went to a concert photography lecture together, which I thought was absolutely rubbish, because the guy giving it was mostly interested in bragging about how epic he was and all the awesome gigs he had done. When people asked him how he did something, he’d give super vague replies about how they should try for themselves, or look up a tutorial online… not what they were there for dude, not what they were there for. Bert did a workshop with him later on the day, and he wasn’t very pleased with that either. I think they mostly focussed on panning. From what I gather from what he told me. That was also the workshop that his registration for got fumbled.

Canon Experience Days 

I also went to the Street Photography workshop, which I absolutely LOVED. The lecturer was very engaging, and I loved how he made it a point that people CAN shoot out on the street, without getting up in people’s faces without their permission. And that you CAN get permission and not miss the moment, so to speak. I thought it was very informative, but my heart sank a little at the fact that a lot of people seem to think that they are allowed to get up in someone’s face with a big camera, without their permission, and take their photo just because they see fit. Aside from the fact that this is just plain rude, it’s also ILLEGAL. So I was glad to be at a workshop where they tried to wean people out of that kind of behaviour. I kinda want to find out where to get hold of the lecturer, so I can ask if I can interview him for BCM, because I feel that my readers will benefit a ton of that. Or at least enjoy reading about a serious photography professional that still respects other people and their rights whilst shooting out on the street. Good time. And I met some nice people there too, bonus! 

Esosa and Whitley 

I met more nice people in the afternoon, when I went to the Vlogging lecture. Whitley and Esosa even kindly let me photograph them for the next BCM. We’re doing a colourful fashion feature, and if any of you reading this want to participate, drop me a line! Doesn’t have to be in the comments here, you can send me a DM on my socials (links below this post). The staff was also amazing, they were all very helpful and friendly, and I enjoyed talking to them about photography and such. 

So yeah, I will definitely go back again next year! 
All my photos of the event are here :).

---- 

Find me online: 
twitter - instagram - website 

---- 

Disclaimer: Google is trying to fob off a lot of their GDPR responsability by pretending the responsability to safeguard privacy is with bloggers. I can assure you that I don't collect ANY data on my followers or people that read this blog what so ever, so when it comes to this blog, it's entirely on google. I will continue to post links to secondary sites, I have no stake in this other than to provide my readers with a handy link, so if you worry about your data when you enter those sites, you'll have to take it up with them. I hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment