Tuesday 17 April 2018

Star Wars Identities at Brussels Expo - exhibition and VIP party

blog header

On April 2nd, Star Wars Identities opened in Palais 2 of Brussels Expo. 
On the 4th, it was the evening of the VIP party. Bert and I were lucky enough to attend both as members of the press for BCM, and there will be pages on both in #36, which won't be out for a while still (early July, but the exhibition runs 'till September 2nd so it's ok). 
In the mean while, this is my personal run down of both.

This morning before everything opened 

We got up pretty early on the 2nd, and thankfully that was Easter Monday because neither of us wanted to brave Brussels morning traffic, which is pretty legendary in it's foulness. 
We had to be there at 9am and ended up being there first at 8.30ish. 
Luckily we could already go inside, and so we flopped down in comfy sofas and waiting for the press event to start.

Star Wars Identities

Star Wars Identities 

Bert and I were allowed early entrance to the exhibition, together with all the other photographers and camera crews to shoot images without a lot of people around. That was really cool. 
Afterwards, there was a small presentation of Sophie from X3, the company that created the exhibition and Laela from Lucasfilm, who curates the items on display, which was super interesting. 

When that was over, we were allowed to see the expo again during regular opening times and we could experience it fully like everyone else. 
So Bert and I got to create our own Star Wars character. 
I made a Rebel fighter pilot and Bert made himself a senator. 

We also got to interview Laela for BCM, which was super cool. 
She's mega friendly, and she had a lot of interesting things to say. 
So yeah, we've got some really cool content for next edition! (Which sounds a little weird as I only released an issue last week, but these events happened during that weird limbo between deadline and release of an issue so yeah). 
So yeah, good times! 
I really enjoyed it! 
Have some more photos :) 

Star Wars Identities

Star Wars Identities

Star Wars Identities

Star Wars Identities

Star Wars Identities 

My outfit for the day. 
I had to get up so early that I just threw some things together and hoped for the best :) 

Outfit: 2.4.2018 

----

Party time!

Atomium and cherry blossoms 

On the 4th, Bert had taken half a day off work, because there would be no way we'd be in time for the 6pm start of the VIP party otherwise. 
I think we must have left here in time to just beat rush hour, because we got there in good time and well in time. 
So we had some french fries first at the local chip stand and I took this photo. 
It was quite remarkable how much more in bloom the cherry blossom trees were since Monday (considering they weren't blooming at all then).

Star Wars Identities VIP party

With Bert and Peter 

But yeah, we got there in time, there were already some people gathered, and we took a fun photo with Peter. 
You can't see my dress has an all over Millennium Falcon print but it is there! 
I think the photographer's name was Cédric, but I'm not 100% certain. In any case, thank you for taking the photo of the three of us kind sir!

Outfit: 4.4.2018

Star Wars Identities - VIP party 

Bert took my outfit shot, and a little later it was time to get in. 
We were given bracelets (to mark the press) and souvenir badges (very cool) and tickets to use the photobooths, huzzah!

Star Wars Identities VIP party

Star Wars Identities VIP party 

We took some red carpet photos. 
I was mostly photographing analog on my Agfa Click I. Because I like analog :). Even though the Click does all sorts of wacky things with film, but that's ok, I like all it's crazy antics :).

Star Wars Identities - VIP party 

And then went inside to enjoy the party.

Star Wars Identities VIP party 

This guy from, I think the Rebel Legion, had the most awesome Lothcat patch on his jacket, so I just had to ask him for a photo. He has a super impressive moustache too, I should have asked him for a portrait really!

Star Wars Identities VIP party

Star Wars Identities VIP party 

They had numbered the badges, so the exhibition wouldn't be overcrowded, which was super cool. Just like normal exhibition days, they did a great job when it came to crowd control.

Star Wars Identities photobooth

Star Wars Identities photobooth 

Photobooth photos, because as everyone knows, I do love photobooths! 
We had been given two tickets, so Bert picked the Stormtrooper background and I picked the Vader one :). 

And frankly, they did an amazing job organising both the exhibition and the VIP party. 
We certainly had an amazing time, it was so much fun. 
A huge thank you to the organisation for having us, we had a blast! :) 

Photo of the day: 7.4.2018 (day 97)

I had seen this Darth Vader t-shirt the first day I was at the expo, and I thought about it, and then didn't get it. I regretted not getting it afterwards, so I got it at the VIP party. 
And then Loa went to nap under it first chance he got. Which I can't blame him for because it is so soft!

Photo of the day: 8.4.2018 (day 98)

Haul and instax. You can't really see the t-shirt but that's what the photo before this one is for :)

Seriously, if you're into Star Wars, go see the expo, sure the ticket price is a little on the higher side, but if you're a fan it's well worth it in my opinion. 
I certainly would not have left feeling like it wasn't worth it if I had paid for my ticket!

All my photos are here.
Proper review etc coming up in the next issue of BCM! 

---- 

Find me online: 
twitter - instagram - website  

No comments:

Post a Comment