Saturday 14 April 2018

Book review - "Very Important Corpses" by Simon R Green

Everyone that knows me, knows that Simon R Green is my favourite author.
Whilst I have always been LOVING his Nightside books, I've been at least as big a fan of his Ishmael Jones stories ever since they came out.
They're set in the same world and timeline as his Nightside, Secret Histories and Ghost Finders series, but so far there haven't been any crossovers other than some mentions to the Droods and the Ghostfinders.
That said, I absolutely adore the setting, and if you also love murder mysteries, you should absolutely, totally, right now, go check these out.

Very Important Corpses is the third book in the series, following after the first, The Dark Side of the Road, and its sequel Dead Man Walking.
The omnious titles are apt, by the way.

I'm not going to say anything about the previous installments, nor about the main characters. If you want spoilers, you'll have to find someone else, because these books are pretty darn amazing and you need to read them yourself. Trust me, it's worth it.

Obviously, Ishmael is still the enigmatic lead. And neither him nor his partner Penny have changed a whole lot. What I love about Ishmael is that, despite his background, he's still a very real character. He's there to get things done, and the problem/mystery solved, but he's not a superhero. From all of SRG's male leads, I feel that Ishmael is the most human and the most relatable, having his own insecurities and almost quirks. I feel that Penny and Ishmael are the most “real” of all SRG's power pairings also, especially in this book, and I absolutely loved the interaction between them and the other characters and how they changed and evolved in this book.

Just like it's two predecessors, this book has dead people in a house and Ishmael has to find out who did the misdeed. You'd think that the same kind of setting would get boring, but it really doesn't. The premise may be the same, the setting is always extremely different. The supporting cast, so to speak, is different and the leads continuously grow and involve, so it never gets boring. And of course, the question always is: will the villain(s) be human or supernatural monsters, which is also always fun to find out.

I'm going to stop gushing now, I really enjoyed this book, this is my favourite in the series so far, and I can't wait to get my hands on the next one Death Shall Come next month and Into The Thinnest of Air in June. More Ishamael Jones is always better. Try them, you'll agree with me if you're also into murder mysteries.

For more of my book reviews, go visit Never Was Magazine, because I generally publish them on there (not all of those are by me, btw, fair is fair!) :).

----

Find me online: 
  twitter - instagram - website

No comments:

Post a Comment