Tuesday 29 August 2017

Once Upon A Time...

Once Upon a Time

When the Cinquantenaire Museum (my all time fave museum) introduced Once Upon a Time, my inner steampunk rejoiced. 
An exhibit dedicated to pocket watches? 
BRING ...
IT ...
ON. 
I love pocket watches, my main watch is a pocket watch. 
 I own several. 
Pocket watches are bomb.
Once Upon a Time 

Once Upon a Time 

So of course, I HAD to see it before it ended. 
I feel like we had proscrastinated more than enough on going, so I basically told Bert we HAD to go, and so we went on August 13.

Once Upon a Time 

The exhibit, as you can read from the review I wrote here on the Gatehouse, did NOT disappoint. 
OMG, so many beautiful pocket watches! 
I also loved the paper historical fashions by Isabelle de Borchgrave
I think I even loved those more than the pocket watches. 

My one regret is that most watches were closed. 
And I understand that the beautiful outside art was the main focus, but still, I like seeing the actual timepiece, too. 
It just would have rocked so much more if they had had a photo of each actual watch plate with the watches that weren't open. Which was most of them.
They did have a few interactive tablet type things that would show you the front, inside and back of a certain watch, but they only had a few and there were so many pieces on display. Still, it was a nice touch, even if it was just a small one.

Once Upon a Time

Once Upon a Time 

After we saw the exhibit, we of course also went for a wander through the museum.

Cinquantenaire Museum 

No matter how many times I visit, we always discover something new. 
Sadly the astrolabe section was still suffering from bad light, and I wasn't about to flash to counter the lighting circumstances, so I still don't have any good photos of them. One day! 

Cinquantenaire Museum 

And here's some random photos that should give you an idea just how amazing this museum is! 

Cinquantenaire Museum

Cinquantenaire Museum

Cinquantenaire Museum

Cinquantenaire Museum 

We'll definitely be going back to see Oceania, because I feel that no one sets up exhibits quite like the Cinquantenaire. 
But yeah, super awesome clockpunk (literally!) exhibit, we have tons of photos, which you can see here

---- 

Find me online: 
twitter - instagram - website - old blog (it's to say, I double post, but my years and years of posting is on there as I've had it since 2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment