Thursday 22 June 2017

Review: M.A.C eye shadow x 9 in Semi-Sweet

M.A.C eye shadow x 9 in Semi-Sweet 

I know a lot of people say that the x 9 palettes by M.A.C are not there quality wise, compared to their single (pan) eye shadows. 
I often hear that especially the limited editions are pretty fail. 
I can, of course, only speak for the x 9 palettes I own, and I can honestly say that mine are on point with with regular M.A.C shadows. 

So yeah, click the cut to read more about these 9 semi sweet shades! 


Before we get into the review, the stats! 
M.A.C, eye shadows x 9 in Semi-Sweet 
Limited edition for summer 2017 (or I've been misinformed) 
Some shades are original, some aren't. But it's best to compare the names with the single shadows available in your country, as I've noticed stocks aren't the same everywhere. 
0,8 grams per pan.

ingredients - M.A.C, eye shadow x 9 in Semi Sweet

M.A.C eye shadow x 9 in Semi-Sweet 

Top row, left to right: Drawing a Blanc/Blanc Type (it says Drawing a Blanc on the packaging, but Blanc Type on the M.A.C sites, go figure), Bamboo and Outre.
Middle row, left to right: Pink Sienna, Mocha Minded and Everyone's Darling
Bottom row, left to right: Persuade, Dance in the Dark and Carbon
Swatches on my hand basically follow that listing, I'm sure you can see which colour is which :).

You could argue that you don't get a whole lot of product per pan, but let's be honest here. How many times do you often empty up an entire pan, and just how long does it take you to go through those 2-3 grams? Because I know it takes me absolute YEARS to go through entire pans of shadows I do use a ton. So it doesn't strike me as a bad investment to get a x 9 palette with smaller pans, instead of investing a lot more money (because there is no way you can get 9 full sized M.A.C shadows for just under €40) for 9 full sized shadows I don't use often. 

I also like that not all of these colours are special editions, because that means that if I do enjoy a colour a whole lot, I will more likely be able to buy a full size pan after all.  
So for me personally, these x 9 palettes only have advantages. 

Considering the amount of shades of brown I own, it's actually really surprising I managed to only get ONE that is essentially the same as another colour I already owned. 
Dance in the Dark, the middle shade of the bottom row, is basically the same colour as Sexpresso by Too Faced. Which is in their Natural Eyes palette (possibly in other palettes also, but I'm not sure about that). 
That's not to say that Natural Eyes and Semi-Sweet are comparable, far from. If you are curious about Natural Eyes, I have a review of that here

What appealed to me most about this palette is that it has all these lovely nude colours combined with mustard (Outre), burgundy (Everyone's Darling) and Black (Carbon). 
This makes it not just a little different, but also very versatile. 
You can totally do very daily wear looks with this, as well as evening looks. 
It's that versatility that really appealed to me. 
Together with the fact that I really wanted a mustard and burgundy shade, and Carbon, but knew I wouldn't use either all that much. 

And also, I literally love ALL of the shades in the palette. 
Now, as I mentioned, performance wise, these are just like every other M.A.C shadow I own: easy to blend, easy to apply, easy to remove again when you take off your make-up. 
I legit can not complain. 

What I do need to say, however, is that there is kick-back. 
With some shades (especially the mattes) more than with others. 
But that's literally nothing that can't be solved by tapping off your brush before you apply the shadows to your eyes and wiping down your palette afterwards. For me it's definitely not something that holds me back using this palette. Clearly, because I reach for it a ton. Mostly in combination with shades from my Chocolate Bon Bons and Natural Eyes palettes (both by Too Faced). 

Would I travel with this? 
That kinda depends on how long I'm going away, where I'm going to, and what looks I'm into at the time. So possibly, yes. 
It is a super travel friendly size in any case. In fact, it's the exact same size as a palette for 4 regular pans, so M.A.C has been super clever in that regard, and it doesn't take up much space in a bag at all. 

Would I recommend this? 
Heck yes I would. In fact, I chose this over Urban Decay's Naked Heat (to each their own) because I felt this had more shades I would actually use. 
BUT, I would only recommend it if these are shades you are actually into, and like with every palette, if you would use enough of the colours to make it worth your while. 
Because there are so many eye shadows out there, that you are bound to be able to find a good single dupe if you just want a few shades. 

A look I did with this palette (where I used more than just Blanc Type/Drawing a Blanc to set my primer or dumped Dance in the Dark in the outer V):

#summerofdisneystyle day 15 - Disney ears + day 53/100 days of make-up in 2017 

Photo by Bert Van den Wyngaert

Shades used: Blanc Type and Pink Sienna. 
Excuse the Duffy ears, it was for a #summerintodisneystyle prompt. The prompt was Disney ears. 
I realise that the photos of me wearing these shadows aren't super detailed, but if you click them, you'll be directed to my flickr page (or open them in a new page, up to you) and if you click them there, they enlarge :). Roundabout, I know, I do apologise! 

---- 

Find me online: 
twitter - instagram - website - old blog (it's to say, I double post, but my years and years of posting is on there as I've had it since 2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment