Tuesday 23 May 2017

First impressions of the Antwerp Hard Rock Café

Hard Rock Café Antwerp

When my friend Marie found out that there was a new Hard Rock Cafe in Antwerp, she asked me if I wanted to go. 
Naturally, I didn't mind at all.


Hard Rock Café Antwerp 

Back in the 90s, the HRC was one of my friend's and I's fave places to hang out and have a drink, so out of nostalgia alone I was happy to go with her. 
But I would have been happy to go with her anyway because she's my friend :). 

So last week Monday, on the 15th, we met up in Antwerp central station and wandered to Groenplaats, where the new HRC is in the exact same spot as the old one used to be! 
We had a reservation that Marie had made, and because it was nice and quiet it didn't matter that we were early at all, which was nice. 

The people working there were super nice, but I really like it better when I'm just left alone to eat and not constantly asked questions. 
Even though they legit try to make sure we're having a nice meal and good experience. 
But I find it very daunting (social anxiety and all, this kinda thing does NOT help). I just want to sit down with my friends and be left alone to eat. I'll ask if I need something. (To be fair, that sort of thing kinda puts me off going back to a place). 

Hard Rock Café Antwerp 

The food was really pretty good, but very sneaky. Like, it didn't seem like that much (even though it was obviously a big portion) or that heavy when I was eating it, but once I finished it I was all “omg I at SO MUCH”. 
Needless to say, I didn't actually eat again that day, save for one Alpro soy vanilla pudding in the evening. Oops! I still wasn't very hungry the next day! 

What I really like, is that they allow you to replace the regular burger by a chicken or vegetarian alternative at no added cost. Whether or not it's also vegan friendly, I don't know, but at least they are making a conscious effort for people that don't eat meat so I feel that it's at least a start, even though it might not be perfect. It's more than a lot of other places are doing for sure. (That said, Greenway is pretty much across the street from the HRC and they only serve vegetarian and vegan food, but unlike the HRC they are not open on Sundays, boo!). 

I also loved the free refills on ice tea and soft drinks. It's a very nice touch, especially seeing you get pretty large drinks to start with!

Hard Rock Café Antwerp

Hard Rock Café Antwerp 

Because it wasn't busy at all, after our meal we could easily wander the entire restaurant and take photos. I really wish I had taken my DSLR instead of my compact camera, but alas! Still, better than nothing! I also did forget to take a photo of the outside of the restaurant, but hey, it's a Hard Rock Café, its not exactly hard to find :D. 

Hard Rock Café Antwerp

Hard Rock Café Antwerp

Hard Rock Café Antwerp

Hard Rock Café Antwerp

Hard Rock Café Antwerp

Hard Rock Café Antwerp

Hard Rock Café Antwerp 

The inside is more impressive than the outside in any case.

Hard Rock Café Antwerp 

We wandered in the little gift shop a little too, and Marie got a pin, but I didn't buy anything. I did sort out a HRC membership because it's international and it allows you priority seating. Which is very practical if you, like me, can't stand for long times. 

After having eaten, taken tons of photos and shopped in the gift shop, we decided to check out some shops and wander around town some more. Our final stop was the bubble tea bar, because 8tea5 definitely makes a nice change to Starbucks :). 

I would go back to the HRC for a meal at some point, if someone would ask me to go with them. I like it a little better than Ellis Gourmet burger, but I want to try the indi burger place on Groenplaats before I go back to either. Because you know, they may have even better burgers, after all :). 
That said, there's tons of other options, several not even including meat, of new places in Antwerp that I want to try first, so it could be ages 'till I go back to the HRC, if at all :). 
I'd probably sooner go there for a drink than a meal to be honest, and even then, there's better (non Monsanto) options around such as the juices from Greenway. 
BUT I did enjoy visiting, but that was because I really enjoy spending time with my friend Marie :). So I'm glad we went there ^^.

No comments:

Post a Comment