Saturday 30 September 2017

Favourites of the month: September

Favourites of September

I went to Tokyo, Japan, at the beginning of the month so expect lots of KAWAII things! 


- Canmake Tokyo, highlighters
- Disney Store Japan, back to school totebag 
- Dr Organic, Tea Tree shampoo 
- essence, hololighter highlighting brush 
- Japanese art notebook 
- M.A.C, lipstick in French Moroccan 
- Marvel Comics, Moon Girl and Devil-Dinosaur, volume 3: The Smartest There Is 
- Mint Neko, GIANT totebag 
- Sephora, pomegranate cleasing cream 
- Sephora, pomegranate face mask 
- Sephora, almond lip balm 
- Sugarpill, pressed eyeshadow in Poison Plum 
- Sugarpill, loose eyeshadow in Ghosted 
- Tokyo Disney Sea, tins 
- Tokyo Disney Sea, bag charms 
- Tokyo Disney Sea, Gelatoni totebag 
- Tokyo Disney Sea, Duffy cup sleeve 
- Tokyo Disney Sea, fashionable villains make-up bag 
- Too Faced, Mr Right 
- Viktor & Rolf, Spicebomb 

brushes! 

It all starts with the application! 
And for that, one needs brushes. 

essence - holighter highlighter brushes 

These funky looking highlighter brushes are just cheap essence ones (a little under €4 a piece): their new hololighter highlighter brush
Like most essence brushes, they are ace. 
At the moment, these are my fave highlighter brushes.

Too Faced - Mr Right 

And the other brush was not cheap, but thankfully gifted to me by Bert (I shall refrain from more Mr Right by Mr Right “jokes”). 
I had wanted Mr Right for ages, but it's so pricy that I kept putting it off. 
It's totally worth the money though! 
Putting on bronzer has never been so easy and smooth!

Too Faced - Mr Right 

Packaging and design appreciation time, because Too Faced nails it every time.  

---- 

Canmake Tokyo - highlighters 

Highlighter love 
Like I don't have enough highlighters right? 
Is such a thing even possible? 
Not as far as I'm concerned (although I do start to feel like enough is enough to be fair). 
When I was in Tokyo, I of course had to check out Canmake Tokyo because the brand is cheap, gunk free (no MIT or parabens) and cruelty free. 
And they had a bunch of highlighters, so I bought a bunch of highlighters.

Canmake Tokyo - cream highlighter in luminous aqua 

And I love them all, even the cream ones, and I usually don't like cream highlighters at all! 
But these are a special kind of awesome because they apply without hassle and look amazing, even on my foundationless skin :D.

Canmake Tokyo - cream highlighter in luminous beige 

I feel that our drugstore brands could really take a leaf out of Canmake's book formula wise, because even though this stuff is cheap, it's right up there with high(er) end brands like M.A.C, quality wise. 
Not packaging wise, sadly that's where they skimped on, but the low price has to come from somewhere I guess. 
Regardless of the packaging being not as sturdy as I would like on a lot of products (not on all of them!), I would totally buy more Canmake if I had the chance! 

---- 

Sugarpill - Poison Plum 

Thank god this isn't actually poisenous 
But it is AMAZING though. 
Never in my life have I owned a purple eye shadow THIS pigmented. 
It's so pigmented it stains brushes (I can totally live with that, but I'm mentioning it because I know some others can't). 
I absolutely adore it. It's super vibrant, but if you use a loose hand it is very wearable (not that super bright purple isn't wearable, of course, but to each their own). 
And you can use it wet or dry. 
I love it, it's exactly the purple I have been looking for for years. 
It's really gotten to the point that if I want a new eye shadow, I look at Sugarpill first. 
It's cheaper than M.A.C (even if you buy from the brand's site instead of Beauty Bay. This one came from Beauty Bay though). 
I actually first tried it last month, but I didn't really play around with it in August, so it being in my September faves makes much more sense.

purple 

A quick comparison to M.A.C's Indian Ink. 
Colour wise, it's not a good comparison as Indian Ink is much darker, and has more blue tones whilst I feel that Poison Plum has more Fushia tones, but they are both purple, and this is more a formula comparison than anything else.
Indian Ink is a lot more patchy, and whilst I initially loved the shade, I'm not into it much anymore now that I own Poison Plum. 
In fact, when I did this first purple Halloween-y look, I didn't even include Indian Ink, instead I deepened the outer corners of my eyes with Blackcurrant from my Too Faced Chocolate Bon Bons palette, 'nuff said really.

Day 75/100 days of make-up in 2017 

Here's the first look I did with this. 
BROWS: 
- M.A.C, brow sculpt in Cork 
EYES: 
- LunatiCK Cosmetic Labs, eyeshadow in Brainz 
- M.A.C, pro longwear concealer in NC20 
- M.A.C, technakohl liner in Brass Band 
- M.A.C, Semi-Sweet eye shadow x 9 in Drawing a Blanc/Blanc Type and Pink Sienna 
- Nocibé, artist eyeshadow in Mambo Americano 
- NYX, eye shadow base in skin tone 
- Yves Rocher, botanical color eyeshadow in Lavande Nacré 
- Yves Rocher, botanical color jumbo pencil in Prune Hortensia Nacré 
- Yves Rocher, volume elixir mascara in Blue 
- Sugarpill, pressed eyeshadow in Poison Plum 
- Too Faced, Chocolate Bon Bons in Blackcurrant 
FACE: 
- M.A.C, natural radience primer in radiant pink 
- M.A.C, blush in Full of Joy 
- M.A.C, extra dimension skin finish in Beaming Blush 
LIPS: 
- M.A.C x Brooke Candy, lipstick in Witching Hour 

---- 

Photo of the day: 28.8.2017 (day 240) 

Multifunctional ghosts 
When I first saw Ghosted by Sugarpill I knew I had to have it. 
Firstly because I've been really into pigments lately (I don't own many though) and secondly because it looks a LOT like a Stargazer pigment I used to own and love back in the 90s. 
So yeah, good reasons to get this. 
Especially because pigments are hella multifunctional.

Sugarpill - Ghosted 

---- 

M.A.C - fresh moroccan 

When copper meets red and gold glitter 
You get Fresh Moroccan, a lipstick shade that is a damn lot like one of my fave eye shadows, Coppering, in the right light. 
Originally I wanted to get one from the Urban Decay Naked Heat line, but after an hour the swatches started to really irritate the skin of my hand (urgh) and the “copper” one wasn't that much different to Wrath by NYX (which is WAY cheaper) and the metallic red one wasn't all that much different to French Moroccan. 
So that's why French Moroccan ended up the one I actually spent money on. I've taken it with me to Tokyo, because as a frost finish, it is super comfortable on the lips. I didn't want to take a regular red, but I didn't want to just wear Wrath all the time either. So I went with this instead :).

Sephora - almond lip balm 

No one likes split lips 
I sure as hell don't. 
I really like Weleda lip balms, but they are really pricy and not that easy to get (nearest place that sells them is Bioplanet) so I've tried a few different ones recently. 
Which were easy to get at the time but are about as impractical to repurchase as the Weleda Everon ones. 
Oops! 
That said, I really do enjoy the Sephora almond one, and I will repurchase it next time I'm in a Sephora. 
Click for ingredients 

---- 

Spicebomb 

The only kind of bomb that is approved for use 
Well it's more like a grenade than a bomb, but you get my point. 
I have just ONE thing to say about this: who the hell doesn't want to smell like pumpkin spice?! 
I know I do, every single day of my life. 
(Yes, I am aware that this a men's perfume, and no, I don't give a toss.) 

Photo of the day: 29.8.2017 (day 241) 

---- 

Sephora pomegranate cleanser 

Get clean again 
I got this pomegranate cleanser to take on holiday to Japan because it was travel sized. 
It's actually a REALLY good cleanser, even removes the last bits of waterproof makeup. 
Which I know because I continued to use it at home. 
I will totally repurchase this next time I'm in a Sephora!

Dr Organic shampoo 

And the shampoo, well originally it was Bert's, because he wanted to try something else. 
But he didn't much like it. 
As it's pricy, I gave it a shot, and I LOVE it
I get it at Holland and Barrett, who thankfully often have deals on that makes it a lot more affordable. 
Next time there's one on, I will definitely snatch some more of this stuff! 
It gives my hair a lot of extra volume, and it actually behaves a lot better than usual! 
Because it's rather pricy, I use it every other time and rotate with my trusty Yves Rocher repair shampoo, which works. 

---- 

Sephora - pomegranate sheet mask 

Jetlag is horror on the skin 
Thankfully, I was prepared and bought sheet masks at Sephora
I went for the anti-fatigue pomegranate ones, and I have to say I am super impressed by their quality! 
They were super efficient, and I would defitely recommend them! 
I would totally buy them again when I travel, or know I will be having long days! The reason it's not in the the opening shot is that I've used up the two I had, which I'm sure you all guessed by now. 
Click for ingredients 

---- 

totebags! 

Totebags are love 
I got three totebags whilst in Japan, and I love all them. 
So let's from the smallest size to the biggest.

Gelatoni totebag (back) 

The Gelatoni tote I got at a shop in Tokyo Disney Sea (not Aunt Peg's or McDuck's btw, they advertise those as THE Duffy store, but in reality you can find Duffy and friends in plenty of different stores). 
I actually used it for most of the day when I was there, and the next day in Tokyo, and its super comfortable to carry and super practical with those two large front pockets. 
It's also full of cute drawings of Gelatoni, total bonus.

School bus totebag 

The back to school yellow schoolbus bag is from the Japanese Disney Store in Shibuya
I saw it and just had to have it, because it's just the right format to put my school stuff in. 
At least when in it's not raining, in that case I'll be using a backpack.
But for dry weather, this is awesome.
It's not in this post's opening photo because it wouldn't fit in properly.

Giant totebag is enormous 

The most giant totebag in the universe, this upside down cat one, is by a Japanese brand called Mint Neko
I used to really admire their stuff when leafing through KERA. 
So when I passed by the shop in Lafôret I couldn't resist having a browse, and clearly I couldn't resist this bag at all. 
It's absolutely enormous, I feel like I will only run out of space in it if I go grocery shopping or out to buy large pieces. 
Like a very big canvas or some such.

Fashionable Villains 

And whilst I'm talking about bags 
I would like to take a moment to appreciate my new make-up bag, which I got in Tokyo Disney Sea
Its just amazing. 
It was a little pricer than what I would usually spend on a make-up bag (2400 yen) but I don't regret it because it's so sturdy, roomy (but not too big to carry around) and beautifully designed. 
It's not just the print, it's everything about it from the material (it has proper lining, not some cheap polyester) and all the little details like the tassel and the rhinestone in the zipper pull! 

---- 

Bag charms 

Charm your bag 
I got a whole bunch of these cute keychains at Tokyo Disney Sea. 
The seagull is TippyBlue, who is one of Duffy's friends, but he's only in the shows you can see at Cape Cod Cook Off, for the rest there's just some merch about. He's this ditz that delivers the mail, and I thought he's super cute. 

The little creepy idol is Shiriki Utundu, the antagonist of the Tower of Terror. Tokyo Disney Sea's ToT is unique, and has a completely different back story than the Tower's of other parks. 

And Halloween ones because I couldn't resist. 

---- 

First Pumpkin Spice latte of the year 

Good for warm and cold drinks 
I've wanted one of these Duffy cup sleeves ever since I first saw them online more than a year ago. 
So when we were going to eat at Cape Cod Cook Off Bert got one for me. Because that's where they sell them :). 
They also come in Gelatoni and Shellie-May, but the Duffy one is my fave design. 

Pumpkin Spice all the way! 

---- 

notebook 

Write down all your memories 
I’ve actually had this for ages. I bought it at the gift shop of Les Machines de l’île in Nantes back in February. 
Especially to take along to Tokyo and make travel notes in it. 
Because let’s be honest, how perfect and on theme is this thing?! 
I love it! 
I especially love how every single page has it's own design, so no two pages look the same. 
 I wrote a ton of stuff (like addresses and how to get places) down in this, and I dragged it with me through Tokyo and Tokyo Disney sea, through rain and sunshine and it's still in near mint condition. 
Had I known they're such great quality, I would have bought more of these for sure! 

notebook 

---- 

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur volume 3 

The smartest there is 
I still love Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur
Their 3rd chapter was another spot on and super fun storyline. 
Still hand's down my fave Marvel series. 
To be fair, it's the only Marvel series I still read. The other two I follow are The Rocketeer and Lady Mechanika, and neither are by Marvel Comics.
Considering Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is concluding next issue (I own all the singles too), I guess I won't be reading Marvel much longer, though O_o.

---- 

Tokyo Disney Sea tins 

Store all the things! 
That's my excuse to collect these cute tins at least. 
And lo and behold! 
Tins are actually cheaper in Tokyo Disney (and much cuter) than they are in Disneyland Paris AND the candy has vastly improved, because almost none of it was rubbish. 
The only thing I didn't like was the strawberry chocolates (but it was half that and half milk so not a total loss) from the tin with Duffy and friends. 
But I just don't like strawberry chocolate so that was probably more me than the candy. 
This all said, I do actually store things inside these tins: accessories, makeup, random small tidbits that otherwise are littering or in the way, … so I do make good use out of them.

Duffy and friends Halloween tin 

---- 

For those interested in my Tokyo photos: click here :). 

----

Montly faves from the past on this blog. 
Previous monthly favourites going back much further on my old blog. 

---- ---- 

Find me online: 
twitter - instagram - website - old blog (it's to say, I double post, but my years and years of posting is on there as I've had it since 2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment