Wednesday 7 June 2017

Time for a crocodile sandwich!

Photo of the day: 4.6.2017 (day 155)

Well, it was more like a crocodile burger. 
But let me start at the beginning. 
Somewhere in the middle of last week, I saw a tweet on the Visit Antwerp twitter about Barrio Cantina, the annual food truck festival, being on last weekend. Now, I have been wanting to go to a food truck festival for years. But something _always_ came up. So now I saw my chance and basically dragged Bert out to to Antwerp with me last Saturday!


Barrio Cantina - food truck festival

Barrio Cantina - food truck festival 

The flyer in the photo that opens this post was given to us by one of the festival girls flyering in the city center. Barrio Cantina was on the Steenplein (Stone Square I suppose), which is just outside the city center, by the waterfront. So it was really clever of the organisation to have so many people flyering to draw more visitors to the festival.

Barrio Cantina - food truck festival

Barrio Cantina - food truck festival

Barrio Cantina - food truck festival 

They had around 20, maybe 30 (or maybe more and it just didn't seem that way) food trucks set up. I say food trucks, but not all of them were actual trucks, vans or campers. A lot of them were stalls. But that's all good, because there was tons of FOOOOOOOD.

Barrio Cantina - food truck festival

Barrio Cantina - food truck festival 

And not just that, there were also sellers with drinks. As well as a stage with live entertainment. We didn't go and watch any performers whilst we were there, because we could hear them super well from where we were sitting. They had picnic tables set up well within hearing distance of the stage, so we didn't feel the need to go stand in front of it.

Barrio Cantina - food truck festival

Barrio Cantina - food truck festival 

Of course, before diving in and buying stuff, Bert and I first walked around the entire festival to see what was on sale. Because the last thing we wanted was to get something, to only see something we wanted to eat more two sellers down.

Barrio Cantina - food truck festival 

Mind you, the second I saw Karibu had “broodje krokodil” (crocodile sandwich, but it was more like a burger really) I was sold on that. I had only eaten crocodile once before, but I really liked it so I was all: CROC SAMMICH!

crocodile burger for lunch 

Bert, who has also eaten crocodile before and did NOT like it, went for a kind of chicken sandwich. And of course, was still hungry afterwards. So we went to get a portion of sweet potato fries. Which was quite overpriced for what it was really. And he was still hungry. So we went back into town to Albert Heijn so he could buy some pastries and finally stop being hungry. 

Barrio Cantina is a lot of fun. It's very colourful, you can find a lot of food you won't see at other events and heck, that generally isn't even served at restaurants or sold at supermarkets (although admittedly, that one time I had crocodile my dad and I did find it for sale in a Carrefour supermarket, but that was in a huge one and back in 2003). 

The only downside is that if you aren't someone with a small appetite (like me), you will be spending quite a bit of money to be full (like Bert). 
I spent €8 on that crocodile burger, which was totally worth it because it was DELICIOUS (I seriously nearly went back one of the other days of the festival to have another one!), but Bert spent €7 on his burger, €5 on the portion of fries, €4 on a beer (Karmeliet) and still wasn't full. 
Those are restaurant prices easily. 
So that's something to be aware of when you go to the food truck festival. 
It's not a situation where you can have an entire meal on the cheap.

Barrio Cantina - food truck festival

Barrio Cantina - food truck festival 

That aside, it is totally worth popping down to visit it, if only for the atmospere and simply seeing how cool some of these food trucks are. 
My favourite was the Moochie one, because it was just so cheerful. Generally I'm not even into pinks, but that truck made me smile big time :).

Barrio Cantina - food truck festival

Barrio Cantina - food truck festival 

So yeah, if I can, I'll be totally going back next year. 
And hopefully Karibu will be there again with their delicious crocodile sandwiches! 

Cookie lips and lipsticks

Day 46/100 days of make-up in 2017 

After the food truck festival we did some shopping. Because it was raining and threatening to rain some more afterwards, I had put my camera away. 
But when we got these cute cookies at at the new M.A.C store at Inno, I just had to take photos :). 
Well, and Bert took the one of me. Because I'm a dork, obviously. 
Cookies are food right, they still match the rest of the post :D.

---- 

Find me online: 
twitter - instagram - website - old blog (it's to say, I double post, but my years and years of posting is on there as I've had it since 2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment