Tuesday 25 April 2017

Too Faced – Natural Eyes palette, a review and comparison

Too Faced Natural Eyes vs Chocolate Bon Bons 

Ok, so this is, as the name suggests, a natural shades palette. 

But why is this worth it, in what is basically a world full of neutrals out there? 

Read and find out what it’s like, and how it compares to Too Faced’s Chocolate Bon Bon palette! 




Whilst I’m all about that neutral eye look, even I had to really think this through (and doubted about buying this for months, in fact) before I finally caved because my Chocolate Bon Bons palette is just too big and cumbersome to travel with. Well, there’s nothing wrong with it, it’s sturdy enough to take with me for sure, I just don’t like to take a palette this big on holiday, especially not when taking a plane.


Too Faced, Natural Eyes eye shadow palette 

It's not a review post without Loa cat, the faitful feline blogging assistant, coming to "help" me out: kitty style.



First, a review of 

the Natural Eyes palette

Like all other Too Faced palettes that are currently available, this is a solid tin of goodness.


Too Faced, Natural Eyes eye shadow palette 


Unlike a lot of other Too Faced products, this packaging is less cutesy and more classic. There is still some pink on it, but it’s not full on pink with hearts.


Too Faced, Natural Eyes eye shadow palette 

But I mostly like it because it’s a tin, and that makes it very sturdy to travel with. 

You also get a mirror (I never use these though so whether or not I get a mirror makes no difference to me). 

Too Faced, Natural Eyes eye shadow palette 

There’s the signature Too Faced How-To Glamour Guide booklet, which can be installed in front of the mirror, should you like to keep yours inside your palette, which I think is a nice little touch. 


Too Faced Natural Eyes, swatches 

Swatches: top to bottom: Heaven, Cashmere Bunny, Sexpresso, Silk Teddy, Push-Up, Erotica, Nudie, Honey Pot and Chocolate Martini.


The palette is made up out of three rows of each three different shadows.

Top row are the “day” shades. 
All mattes and pretty conservative colours. 
A cream (Heaven), light brown (Cashmere Bunny) and dark brown (Sexpresso). 

Middle row are the “classic” shades. 

Silk Teddy is a shimmery champagne shade that I would say is a dusty pinkish brown (if you are familiar with Tokyo Disney Sea/Disney’s Shelly-May, it kinda reminds me of her fur). Push-Up is a shimmery and warmer variety of Cashmere Bunny straight above it and Erotica is a glittery dark brown. But a pretty cool toned brown with gold glitter. 

Bottom row are the “fashion” shades. 

Nudie is a matte beige brown, a few shades lighter than Cashmere Bunny I would say, Honey Pot is a really lovely shimmery golden brass, and Chocolate Martini is a warm dark brown with gold glitter. 

If you know M.A.C’s Amber Lights, Honey Pot reminds me of that a little, but Amber Lights is a true brass, whilst Honey Pot is more golden brass and much lighter in colour. 

Actually, Amber Lights is probably closer to Molasses Chip from the Bon Bons palette, which you’ll be able to see later in this post. 
But whilst they are reminiscent, neither is a dupe for the M.A.C shade, or the same. I like using all three in an all brass eye look. 

Heaven is perfect to set your eye shadow primer/base with if you are (very) fair, or would work as a brow highlight and Silk Teddy could definitely double as a highlighter. 


The three larger shadows (Heaven, Silk Teddy and Nudie are each 2gr/0,07 oz and the 6 smaller ones are each 0,9gr/0,03oz. 

This may sound like there’s not much in them, but let’s be realistic. How long has it ever taken you to get through an entire 2-2,5gr eye shadow before? Even with the 5 M.A.C shades I use tons, it takes me absolute years to get through them. 
Especially considering I often use other shadows, too. 

All of these shades are lovely, amazingly pigmented, blend like a dream and of course, you can intermix these as much as you damn well like. 

What I love the most about this is that I can do a complete look with this palette, without having to open up other palettes and single shadows. 
Of course, I often do when I feel like it, but that’s neither here nor there. 
The point is that I don’t have to if I just want to use the one palette, which to me is pretty awesome. 
It also means that if you are just wanting to buy one palette, you would be set with this. Providing you want a neutral one of course. 

A word of caution though: the glittery shades can kick up a lot of fall out if you’re not careful, so definitely TAP that brush and clean your palette after use to avoid colour contamination!


----


Too Faced Natural Eyes vs Chocolate Bon Bons


Now for a comparison to 

Chocolate Bon Bons. 

As that’s the only of their bigger palettes I own, I can’t compare it to any of the others, but as Too Faced is very known for their neutrals, I’m hazarding the guess you’d see a similar thing if Natural Eyes were compared to any of the other palettes by the brand, especially those with more than 9 shades.

Comparing colours


Comparing colours


Comparing colours


Comparing colours


Comparing colours 


I would say there are a fair few comparable shades in both. 
No two shades are exactly the same, but a lot of them are very close I feel. 
With exception of Malted vs Chocolate Martini, those are 97% the same shade (in real life, you can’t see it as much in the photo). 

 So basically the questions you need to ask yourself is 

“Am I going to use the colours in the bigger palette that aren’t in the smaller ones?”
If the answer is yes, you might want to look into one of their bigger ones

I personally like to mix them up, but I do feel like I would be fine with owning just one of them, to be completely honest. 

If it weren’t for the fact that I wanted a smaller palette for traveling, I wouldn’t have bought this. 
BUT, I definitely don’t regret owning it either, because it really is a good palette, and ever so practical.

For more make-up related posts, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment